We headed out going uphill through a horse pasture. Both Libby and Tule had a moment of "Do we have to??" But Rebecca and I managed to convince them that they did. I can't believe I haven't taken advantage of these trails more. The property that we are on is about 300 acres if I remember correctly, and there are some breathtaking overlooks. The long range views are stunning, and at one point you actually see the Biltmore Estate in the distance.
Libby did great. We've not done much more than some light arena work, so she's not terribly fit for hour long trail rides. She was a trooper though. Tule led the whole way to help keep Libby...uh...motivated shall we say? She trotted her way up most of the hills, and we warped into a canter at one point! And warp speed is totally what it felt like! I envy those drafts who have huge strides and effortless upward transitions. It's a bit of a struggle with Libby. But OMG, once we got going it felt like I was riding a freakin' freight train!
Suffice it to say, what with the warmer weather, the winter coat, and an hour of up and down hills, she was a sweaty mess when we got back! So I gave a curry to get rid of any itchies she might have and then we headed over to the hay field for some lunch for the starving mare and to let the sunshine dry her out. It was sunny and almost the prefect temperature, just a hint of chill on the air. So I soaked up the sunshine and chatted with Rebecca who was hand grazing Tule as well. Ahhh.... It's so nice to be at a barn with good people and a minimal drama.
Anyway, just so this isn't totally boring, here is Libby in her new rope halter which I am inordinately proud to say that I handmade MYSELF!!

No comments:
Post a Comment